As the disease progresses, people with ALS require equipment to help keep them safe, comfortable, mobile, communicative and breathing. The ALS Society of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia loans out equipment at no cost to people living with ALS. This is made possible because of the generosity of our donors.
- The ALS Society works closely with your health care team to provide various types of assistive and mobility equipment as they are required.
- The equipment is delivered to your home free of charge and is picked up free of charge.
- Clients will be responsible for the cost of training, calibration and disposable components to pieces of equipment (Ex. Mask and tubing for BiPAP machines).
- Equipment requests may take four to six weeks to be delivered to your home depending on the type of equipment requested and volume of requests.
- Our equipment loans program is based on first come, first serve. If a piece of equipment is requested and we do not have it in our inventory, you will be placed on a waitlist and will receive the equipment when it becomes available.
- Because of limited financial resources and limited equipment inventory, we only loan out one unit per client. (You can loan out as many pieces of equipment as needed, but will not be loaned more than one of the same piece of equipment). Should equipment fail, it is the client’s responsibility to have a back-up plan. We will make every effort to replace/repair the equipment, but it may not always be possible.
How do people with ALS get equipment?
- Complete the brief Client Enrollment Form and submit it to Terri Cooper, ALS Champion. You can email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax it to 902-453-3646 or mail it to:
113-900 Windmill Road Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B3B 1P7 (2) A member of your health care team must submit a prescription to the ALS Society by email or fax. Download the Prescription Form. (3) To request a Bi-Pap, Cough assist or suction machine, a member of your health care team must submit a prescription by fax or email. Download the Bi-pap, cough assist, Suction machine form Bipap, CoughAssist, Suction form. In order to access the Equipment Loans Program and other services provided by the ALS Society of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, you must have a definitive ALS diagnosis. Due to limited resources, we are unable to provide equipment and services to people with health care conditions outside of ALS. Thank you for your understanding.